Si On Yoon, Ph.D.
Si On Yoon’s research in the Iowa Communication, Memory, and Mind Lab take a cognitive science approach to the study of complex language processes. Her research contributes to understanding the neural and cognitive mechanisms that support conversation across the lifespan, including how interlocutors use language, and how memory and language interact to support conversational processes. She has developed an experimental paradigm to study conversation in the lab and used methods such as eye-tracking and measurement of event-related potentials during a task-based conversation among 2-7 conversational participants. She is also interested in how the ability to use social-pragmatic cues during language processing develops and how this ability varies across populations, especially those who may have severe memory impairment (e.g., older adults, individuals with neurodegenerative disease (e.g., Alzheimer’s disease)).
- CSD 1015: Introduction to Speech and Hearing Processes and Disorders
- CSD 3117: Psychology of Language
- CSD 5234: Acquired Cognitive Communication Disorders
Selected publications / active grants
- Yoon, S. O., Benjamin, A., & Brown-Schmidt, S. (2021). Referential form and memory for the discourse history. Cognitive Science, 45, e12964. https://doi.org/10.1111/cogs.12964.
- Rodrigues, M. A., Yoon, S. O., Clancy, K. B. H., & Stine-Morrow, E. A. L. (2021). What are friends for? The impact of friendship on communicative efficiency and cortisol response during collaborative problem solving among younger and older women. Journal of Women & Aging, 33, 411-427.
- Paek, E., & Yoon, S. O. (2021). Partner-specific communication deficits in individuals with Alzheimer’s disease. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 30, 376-390. https://doi.org/10.1044/2020_AJSLP-19-00094.
- Yoon, S. O., & Brown-Schmidt, S. (2019a). Audience design in multiparty conversation. Cognitive Science, 43, e12774. https://doi.org/10.1111/cogs.12774.
- Yoon, S. O., & Stine-Morrow, E. A. L. (2019). Evidence of preserved audience design with aging in interactive conversation. Psychology and Aging, 34, 613-623.
- Yoon, S. O., Duff, M., & Brown-Schmidt, S. (2017). Learning and using knowledge about what other people do and don’t know despite amnesia. Cortex, 94, 164-175.
- Speech-Language Pathology