Social Climbers is designed for children ages 6-14 who:
- Have primary challenges related to friendships and social interaction
- Wish to attend and participate
- Will maintain consistent attendance
- Are able to participate in group activities for 90 minutes
- Have strong skills in spoken communication (i.e., speak in multiple sentences)
- Understand a variety of language concepts (i.e., follow multi-step directions, answer questions)
Using the Social Thinking® curriculum, children will be grouped by age and current social communication skill level. Spots are limited, and children will be chosen based on fit with other group participants. Group members will work with graduate student clinicians under the supervision of licensed speech-language pathologists.
Skill-building will include thinking about others’ thoughts and feelings, having back-and-forth conversations, problem solving in social scenarios, critical thinking, cooperative work and play, emotional regulation, friendships and friendship skills.