The University of Iowa has a long-standing reputation as a pioneer in research investigating the disorder of stuttering and providing diagnoses and treatment for individuals with fluency disorders of all ages. As the first speech pathology program in the US, the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders has its roots in resolving treatment for those who stutter.
An Iowa-produced video "Stuttering: Myths and Facts" featuring Clinical Professor Anu Subramanian and Professor Emeritus Tricia Zebrowski is available on YouTube.
Diagnostic services are provided in the Clinic for individuals of all ages who have concerns about speech fluency or stuttering. The evaluation may include an initial assessment, consultation concerning previous evaluations and treatment, and recommendations for intervention.
Referrals for an evaluation are accepted from individuals as well as other professionals. The assessment is individualized to address specific questions or issues relative to each situation presented. The assessment may also include evaluation of other communication problems if indicated. Follow up consultation concerning the results of the diagnostic session are then provided to the client.
A variety of clinical models may be utilized in speech therapy.
Individual as well as group sessions are available for children and adults throughout the calendar year. Intensive treatment options are also provided as appropriate, including services for individuals who do not live in the immediate vicinity of Iowa City or for clients who have work and other schedule conflicts which necessitate a more flexible therapy arrangement.
Websites and virtual support groups
- Stuttering Foundation
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- National Stuttering Association
- American Institute for Stuttering
- Shared Voices Chicago
- SAY: Stuttering Association for the Young
- National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
- Reddit Stuttering Support Group
- Facebook: Stuttering Arena
- Facebook: NSA teens
- Facebook: NSA young adults
- Stutter Social
- Facebook: Women who Stutter: Our Stories
- International Stuttering Awareness Day Online Conference
- Stuttering is Cruel Foundation
- Stuttering: Power over it – A liberating and empowering self-help program
Ted Talks / Podcasts
- How to Fit a Square Peg Through a Round Hole
- Please let me finish my sentence
- Stuttering and the Art of Mountain Biking
- Stuttering is Cool
- The Power of a Stutter
- The Thing Is, I Stutter
- Turning fear inside out
Anu Subramanian, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
Clinical Professor, Director of Clinical Programs